Compound map with selectable doughnut chart
- Pie charts are often criticised. Comparing the size of pie segments can be difficult, and many visualisation experts suggest that bar-charts should be used instead.
- Shaded maps can emphasise large areas much more than small ones - for example highlighting rural areas over urban, if fixed population areas such as Super Output Areas are shown. Consider providing an alternate mode in which values are represented by circles, or values are scaled by the area size (ie showing density).
- Chloropleth maps can be created in a range of desktop GIS applications such as MapInfo and ArcGIS.
- Doughnuts can be created in a range of standard data applications such as Excel.
- Pie charts can be created in a range of standard data applications such as Excel.